Rural dating north yorkshire Free video chat liberated
In 1930, the workhouse came under the control of the West Riding County Council.
Its layout at this date are shown on the plan below. The site became part of the East Morley Guardians' Area and was developed as a hospital.
According to (Chadwick, 1996), the Guisborough workhouse, "an old tumbledown cottage", was "no regular workhouse but a house for the reception of paupers".
A paid manager was employed by the parish's Select Vestry to run the establishment but it appears not have been a popular job.
More luxurious items such as tea, sugar, and dried fruit were occasionally supplied on a separate account for the workhouse "Dame".
At the rear of the workhouse was prison where miscreants were locked up until the constables could escort them to the New Inn at Bradford to be dealt with by a magistrate.
In 1948, it became part of the National Health Service and was renamed Thornton View.
In front of a fire, at each end of a long room, were grouped a large number of women and children.
At a meeting of Pudsey's "Town's Committee" on 1st February 1802, it was resolved to "discontinue the poorhouse, the occupants to be disposed of as soon as possible," and at the next meeting, two weeks later, an agreement was made with John Cooper of Littlemoor, "to board the paupers residing in the poorhouse for one year, to commence on the first day of March, 1802, and likewise to find fire for them at the rate of three shillings per week per head, to have their earnings for his own benefit — the poor to have two meat dinners per week, and likewise to be under the inspection of the Committee to see they be well kept." (Rayner, 1887).
In 1830, Martin George Crowther was the workhouse Master. The workhouse for Calverley-cum-Farsley was built in 1756 on Calverley's Back Lane, now Blackett Street, at the expense of Sir Walter Blackett (formerly Sir Walter Calverley — he changed his surname as a condition of a inheritance from his uncle). There was a workhouse in Clayton in two cottages on Ramsden Place, off Town End Road.
Deformity was the prevailing characteristic of these persons.
Idiocy and mental imbecility were marked in almost every visage, both of women and children.